The West Coast Wilderness Railway Footplate Experience is your opportunity to spend half a day in the steam loco cabin alongside the driver and fireman.
Following your safety induction and dressed in your overalls and cap, you will participate in the daily safety briefing, receive detailed information about the locomotive from the crew and work alongside them as it is prepared for its day’s journey. You will help move the loco from the workshops at Carswell Park to Queenstown Station where regular passengers will board, and you will have your photograph taken with the crew.
You’ll receive your own flask, mug and packed lunch and enjoy the trip from Queenstown to Dubbil Barril and back, working alongside the crew on the footplate of the locomotive assisting with all aspects of the train’s operation. Back at Queenstown you will have the opportunity to debrief with the crew.
The journey takes you on the section of the line that uses the Abt rack and pinion drive system to climb the 1:16 gradient over the Rinadeena Saddle and then down through the spectacular King River Gorge.
This experience will delight steam and rail enthusiasts and would make an ideal Christmas, Father’s Day or birthday present for the person who has it all.
• Morning tea and lunch provided
• Framed photo with loco & crew
• To keep: Gift Bag containing Drivers Cap, tin cup, guidebook
• Loan of overalls and all safety equipment
Days of Operation
Monday to Friday, except public holidays
Queenstown Station – The Footplate Experience is available on the Rack & Gorge journey only
• One participant per journey / day
• Participant must be 18yrs or more
• Consumption of alcohol or narcotics prior to or during experience is strictly forbidden
• Strong enclosed flat boots or shoes preferably with ankle support are required to be worn (all other protective clothing and equipment will be supplied)
• Participants are advised that in the event of unforeseen circumstances the WCWR reserves the right to relocate the participant from the footplate to a passenger carriage.
• Direct bookings only by phone to 03 6471 0100
• Bookings must be made at least one week in advance
• Full payment is required at time of booking
06.30 – 07.00 Induction – safety briefing, overalls supplied, drivers cap,
Meet the crew, detailed info provided on loco
08.15- 08.30 Train moves to Queenstown Station
8.30-08.45 Photograph with drivers at Queenstown Station
0845 – 09.00 Pick up flask, morning tea & lunch pack
09.00 Train departs Queenstown, with stops at Lynchford, Rinadeena and Dubbil Barril via the Abt rail system
10.45 approx Train is turned at Dubbil Barril
11.15 approx Train departs for Queenstown via Rinadeena and Lynchford
12.00 –12.30 Packed lunch to be eaten on the go
13.00 Train returns to Queenstown Station
13.15 – 14.00 Train returns to workshop – assist with end of day duties, return overalls, debrief, receive framed photo
BOOK NOW – Call 03 6471 0100